Of the records I bought, heard, and explored, here is my top 10. I weighted towards what I played the most.
- Merchandise – After the End
- Protomartyr – Under Color of Official Right
(This was basically a tie – but the Merchandise album is so unabashed enjoyable that if I could only listen to 1 of these again, it’d win)
- Ex Hex – Rips
- Total Control – Typical System
- Ty Segall – Manipulator
- Connections – Into Sixes
- Steve Gunn – Way Out Weather
- Naomi Punk – Television Man
- Hospitality – Trouble
- Violent Change – A Celebration of Taste
I didn’t hear but might have liked the new Deerhoof, Shellac, and Andy Stott records.
Of reissues that I hadn’t heard before, I can’t get enough of The Flesh Eaters’ Minute to Pray and Owen Maerks Teenage Sex Therapists – those would best any of 2014’s new releases. Tommy Keene’s Strange Alliance is also an excellent new-to-me record.
Best trips buying music were Mystery Train records in Gloucester, MA, and a everything-is-three-bucks street sale in Oakland.